Sunday 19 September 2010

How many suits?


A reader emailed me the other day asking how many suits he should have?  He requires a suit for work and wants to stick firm about reducing the amount of items he has.  He was amazed at how easy it was to clear down his wardrobe to 17 shirts, a mixture of work, formal social and casual social.

I have just one suit, for my work I don't require formal wear, so my one suit does for any formal business meetings, social engagement, weddings and funerals etc.   However if you are wearing a suit every day, I would suggest having three, so when one is at the cleaners you have one to wear and a spare if you have a calamity and spill something down it.

I have heard people say, 'Friends will notice I am wearing the same clothes!'  well I think you would be surprised.  In America they carried out an experiment for a selection of people to only wear 6 items of clothes (excluding underwear and work uniforms) and every one commented that nobody noticed.  Read about the results from this experiment www.sixitemsorless.com  

Now I am not suggesting for the 100 Item Challenge that you reduce your wardrobe down to 6 items, this wouldn't really be practical for a modern life-style, doable, yes, but not really practical.

No comments:

Post a Comment