Wednesday 15 September 2010

Family items, learning to let go

Well tonight I have gone through an emotional journey, my grandmother passed away at the start of 2009, we had a very close relationship, more along the lines of Mother and Son.  So clearing out her home was quite distressing.  I held back a few items of furniture, two carver chairs and a floor lamp my grandfather bought for her as their first gift when they set up home together.  These have been remodeled and have a prime position in my home.  The small amount of photographs have been scanned into my hard drive for prosperity.  I have a plastic box of small ornaments and knick knacks that were personal to my grandmother. 

I have gone through this box and have kept back the Rabbit Money Box, but all the other Royal China, commemorating the Royal events like the coronation and the silver jubilee are going.

I still have fond memories of my grandmother, but these are now just items.  There is no attachment to them any more.  It reminds me of a business guru, he came up with the concept if you see something you want, put the idea in a diary system and if a month later you still want it then it may be the right thing to get.  My principle is similar, if you are not sure if you still need an item, put it in a box and a year later if you have not used it, looked at it or done anything at all with it, then time to chuck it out or sell it on.

So tonight there are a few more items on ebay.

No comments:

Post a Comment